Advertisement

Kyran Durnin: Gardaí renew appeal for information one year on

The Louth boy was reported missing on August 30th last year.
James Wilson
James Wilson

09.37 29 Aug 2025


Share this article


Kyran Durnin: Gardaí renew app...

Kyran Durnin: Gardaí renew appeal for information one year on

James Wilson
James Wilson

09.37 29 Aug 2025


Share this article


Gardaí have issued a renewed appeal for information one year since Kyran Durnin was reported missing. 

The Louth boy was reported missing on August 30th last year, but the last known photographs of him were taken two years previously in 2022.

On Newstalk Breakfast, Chief Reporter Barry Whyte said Kyran was first reported missing when his family became concerned about his whereabouts.

Advertisement

“His grandmother went to Gardaí last year,” he explained. 

“Saying that her grandson, Kyran, and her daughter had gone missing. 

“There were subsequent Garda investigations into this for a number of weeks, they did a press conference last year appealing for the whereabouts of Kyran Durnin. 

“Then a few months later in October, this was upgraded to a murder investigation because the investigations by Gardaí showed there was no indication that Kyran Durnin was alive.” 

Kyran Durnin Kyran Durnin press conference. Picture by: Newstalk. 24/20/2024

Since then, Gardaí have seized and are in the process of examining some 29,500 hours of CCTV footage. 

They have also said they are aware of “speculation, rumours and theories” about the case, but urged anyone with any information - even if they think it is already in the public domain - to contact Drogheda Garda Station. 

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by Newstalk (@newstalkfm)

“In the last year, there have been extensive investigations into the disappearance and murder of Kyran Durnin,” Mr Whyte said. 

“He would have been nine this year, his birthday would have been on 15th May. 

“But the last known images of the little boy were taken in June 2022 when he was six years old. 

“So, despite being reported missing in August last year, it’s almost three years since he was last seen.” 

Kyran Durnan Kyran Durnin. Picture by: An Garda Síochána.

Since the Garda investigation began, two people have been arrested in connection to the investigation. 

36-year-old Anthony Maguire was arrested and released without charge in December last year

However, he was found dead in a Drogheda home days later and it is understood he died by suicide. 

Separately, Gardaí arrested a woman in connection to the case and released her without charge. 

Searches are ongoing at a property in Drogheda, supported by forensic teams and a cadaver dog, as Gardaí seek evidence on Kyran Durnin’s whereabouts or fate. Gardaí have arrested a man on suspicion of the murder of eight-year-old Kyran, whose disappearance in 2022 was upgraded to a murder investigation in October. Photo shows: Gardai search a property in Beechwood, Drogheda, with the assistance of a cadaver dog. Photograph: Eamonn Farrell / © RollingNews.ie A Garda search at a Drogheda property. Picture by: Eamonn Farrell / © RollingNews.ie

“There’s also been searches of land and properties,” Mr Whyte added.  

“Three domestic properties and the gardens around these properties were searched last year

“This included excavation works, as well as a full forensic examination. 

“Three of these properties were in Dundalk and Drogheda, two of them were where Kyran would have lived.” 

On Saturday at 6pm, a vigil for Kyran will take place in Market Square, Dundalk.

Main image: Kyran Durnin. Image supplied by: An Garda Síochána. 


Share this article


Read more about

An Garda Síochána Crime Kyran Durnin

Most Popular