An Irish climber has died on Mount Everest.
It comes just over a week after another Irish man went missing on the world's highest mountain.
Posting on social media this afternoon, mountaineering group 360 Expeditions confirmed that 56-year-old Kevin Hynes from Galway passed away in the early hours of this morning.
The father of two had reached the Everest summit via the Nepal side last year, and on his second expedition was attempting the North side climb.
He reached Camp 3 of Everest - at 8,300 metres - on Wednesday.
While other members of the team continued their journey to the summit, Kevin and a Sherpa began their descent.
However, Kevin - who lived and worked in the UK - passed away in his tent at 7,000 metres on the North Col in the early hours of this morning.
In a statement, 360 Expeditions said Kevin was one of the strongest and most experienced climbers on their team, having previously summited Everest South.
They said: "We thank everyone for your understanding and respect in the light of this tragic event. Our heartfelt thoughts and condolences are with all Kevin’s family and his friends.
"He really was a wonderful man and it was a great privilege to have him on our team."
The Irish Seven Summits group paid tribute to Kevin.
Very sad news coming from Everest this morning on the death of Irish climber Kevin Hynes. Kev was a very experienced guy and had previously summitted Everest (2018) and Lhotse among many others. Our deepest sympathies to his family and teammates. #Everest2019
— Irish Seven Summits (@Irish7Summits) May 24, 2019
The Himalayan Times quotes officials saying efforts are underway to bring Kevin's body to base camp.
In a statement the Department of Foreign Affairs said it was aware of reports of the death of an Irish citizen on the north slopes of Mount Everest, and stand ready to provide consular assistance.
The news comes just over a week after another Irish climber - Seamus Lawless from Bray, Co Wicklow - went missing on Everest.
The 39-year-old fell while descending from the summit.
A search for Seamus resumed earlier this week.
Eight people have died on Everest during the current climbing season, officials have said.