US President Joe Biden has said the US will ‘hunt down’ those responsible for the attack at Kabul airport that left dozens of people dead.
At least 85 people - including 13 US soldiers - were killed in the explosions yesterday outside the gates of the airport.
Large crowds had been gathering around the airport in recent days, as more and more people desperately try to leave the country following the Taliban takeover of Afghanistan.
Islamic State says it was behind the bombings, which injured hundreds of others.
There are concerns there could be more attacks ahead of Tuesday's withdrawal date.
Despite extraordinary dangers and risks, we were able to evacuate more than 100,000 people in just a matter of days. We can — and we must — complete our mission.
We will not be deterred by terrorists. We will not let them stop our mission. We will continue the evacuation.
— President Biden (@POTUS) August 27, 2021
In an address from the White House, President Biden said the group known as ISIS-K was responsible for the attack.
He said: “To those who carried out this attack, as well as anyone who wishes America harm, know this: We will not forgive. We will not forget.
“We will hunt you down and make you pay. I will defend our interests and our people with every measure at my command.”
He said the US would respond with force, saying he’d ordered military commanders to develop plans “to strike ISIS-K assets, leadership, and facilities”.
The US president said the US response would happen at a “moment of our choosing”.
ISIS-K - linked to the wider Islamic State group - is considered an enemy of the Taliban, the group that rapidly took back control of Afghanistan in recent weeks amid the withdrawal of international troops.
Meanwhile, President Biden has also pledged the US will continue to work to evacuate its remaining citizens in Afghanistan ahead of the August 31st deadline for full withdrawal of US troops.
As of yesterday, Ireland’s Department of Foreign Affairs was helping 60 people - Irish citizens and their family members - to leave Afghanistan.
Minister Simon Coveney said Kabul airport was “essentially shutting down”, but pledged to “try and find solutions” to get people out.
A team of Irish diplomats and Army Rangers left Kabul yesterday, after helping evacuate 26 Irish citizens and residents over the course of 48 hours.
Ten others had previously been evacuated, bringing the total to 36.