At least 72 people have died after two bomb attacks near Kabul airport, according to Taliban officials.
An Afghan official said at least 60 Afghans were killed and 143 others were injured in the attack.
Some 12 US service personnel were killed and another 15 were injured.
The Islamic State has claimed responsibility for the attacks.
Suicide bombers are believed to have carried out the attacks as thousands of people desperately waiting for evacuation out of the country.
The attacks came just hours after Western intelligence agencies warned of the threat of an imminent terror attack in the area.
We can confirm an explosion outside Kabul airport. Casualties are unclear at this time. We will provide additional details when we can.
— John Kirby (@PentagonPresSec) August 26, 2021
A small group of Irish Army Rangers remains in the area; however, the Department of Foreign Affairs said they were preparing to withdraw earlier this afternoon.
It said the team had helped to evacuate a number of Irish citizens but did not reveal how many.
In a statement, Foreign Affairs Minister Simon Coveney said: "Evacuation flights are ongoing today and for security and operational reasons, we will not give detail on numbers until the [Emergency Consular Aid Team] has left Kabul.
"Given the change in security status at Kabul Airport, remaining Irish citizens and residents in Kabul and beyond have been advised against coming to or remaining at the airport as gates are no longer open."
The withdrawal was due to be complete by the end of the day.
The team flew to Afghanistan to evacuate 24 Irish citizens and 12 of their family members.
This morning, Minister Coveney said officials were in close contact with the Irish team in Kabul as well the Irish citizens they were trying to evacuate.
Our Team of diplomats & Army Rangers in Kabul r safe, busy & doing fantastic work with partners.
We remain in close contact with them to make decisions on exit.
We r also in continuing contact with all Irish individuals & families in Afghanistan to support & advise. @dfatirl
— Simon Coveney (@simoncoveney) August 26, 2021
The US and a host of other nations are still working to evacuate tens of thousands of citizens ahead of August 31st – the deadline for US troops to leave the country.