The US President has used a hack on the Metropolitan Police's Twitter account to launch a fresh attack on the Mayor of London.
It comes after a series of bizarre tweets were posted to the police service’s Twitter feed.
"What you gonna do call the police," "We are the police ... Cal and Dylan are gay btw" and "no comment get my lawyer" were among the messages that appeared on Friday night.
They have since been deleted.
A number of the tweets also called for the release of rapper Digga D and linked to false press releases regarding the rapper and an apparently missing child.
This morning US President Donald Trump re-tweeted a post from right-wing commentator and former reality TV star Katie Hopkins who had taken a screenshot of one of the tweets.
"Officers says they have lost control of London streets,” she wrote. “Apparently they lost control of their twitter account too."
President Trump then wrote: "With the incompetent Mayor of London, you will never have safe streets."
With the incompetent Mayor of London, you will never have safe streets! https://t.co/pJqL1NjyvA
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 20, 2019
It is the latest in a string of attacks on London Mayor Sadiq Khan who has been outspoken in his criticism of President Trump.
The Metropolitan Police said in a statement the security breach had only affected their MyNewsDesk account, which publishes to the Met's website and Twitter accounts and generates emails.
It said there had been no hack of the Met Police's own IT infrastructure.
The statement continued: "When a story is published via MyNewsDesk, it appears on the Met's website and Twitter accounts and generates an email to those who've subscribed to receive our news updates.
"Last night, Friday 19 July, unauthorised messages appeared on the news section of our website as well as on the @metpoliceuk Twitter feed and in emails sent to subscribers.
"While we are still working to establish exactly what happened, we have begun making changes to our access arrangements to MyNewsDesk.
"We apologise to our subscribers and followers for the messages they have received."
The force said it was working to establish what criminal offences had been committed.
Emails linking to bogus press releases calling for Digga D's release were also sent from Scotland Yard's press bureau.
A Scotland Yard superintendent said the account, which has more than 1.22 million followers, had "been subject to unauthorised access."
Superintendent Roy Smith tweeted at the time: "Our media team are working hard to delete the messages and ensure the security of the account.
"Please ignore any Tweets until we verify that it is back under official control."
Some of the posts received hundreds of likes and retweets.
With reporting from IRN