Parents at the school impacted by last week’s Parnell Square stabbing say they were offered no State support for days after the attack.
Three young children and a carer were injured in the horrific attack outside Gaelscoil Choláiste Mhuire last Thursday afternoon.
A five-year-old girl is still fighting for her life in hospital after the attack, while the two other children have since been released.
The woman, who was stabbed as she tried to shield the children, is still being treated at the Mater Hospital.
The chief suspect also remains seriously ill in hospital.
This morning, it emerged that it took days for children at the school to be offered State supports to help them come to terms with the attack.
Several parents contacted The Irish Times expressing their disappointment at the absence of any contact from psychologists, counsellors, support services or politicians in the days after the attack.
One said parents had no choice but to ‘DIY psychology’ with their children over the weekend to try and help them come to terms with what they witnessed.
Another said they did not know if they were answering their children’s questions correctly over the weekend, adding “I didn’t know if I should be saying more or should I be saying less?”
They said there was no contact from any State agency or department – with the exception of investigating Gardaí – between Thursday and Monday.
The parents also claimed that just three State psychologists came to the school to deal with up to 200 people on Monday.
Separately, in the Dáil yesterday, Social Democrats TD Gary Gannon said parents had told him there was ‘not one Garda present’ on Parnell Square yesterday afternoon.
He said the school had been assured there would be a “consistent Garda presence on that street” in the coming weeks and months.
Justice Minister Helen McEntee said there is a strong Garda presence on the ground – but warned that stationing officers outside the school at all times would prevent the children from returning to normality.