The Taoiseach Micheál Martin has welcomed a recommendation to extend the vaccine booster programme to the over-60s.
The National Immunisation Advisory Committee (NIAC) gave it the green light at a meeting with ministers late on Monday.
Up to now, only those over 80 or over-65s in nursing homes have been able to avail of a third jab.
The extra dose will be administered no sooner than five months after the previous dose.
Mr Martin says this will be done in conjunction with other measures being considered.
"I'm delighted that NIAC have recommended the booster vaccine in terms of over-60s.
"And I think that's a significant decision that will help in dealing with the ongoing challenge of Delta and of COVID.
"In addition to that, there is a whole range of measures NPHET is recommending around behaviour and around the continuing wearing of masks in a whole range of settings - and also in terms of the vaccination certificates which Government will consider later.
"But suffice to say we have to collectively - that's the key message really, around behaviour - this is a very transmissible virus.
"And the increased socialisation that has occurred obviously has a knock-on impact.
"But I would stress that we are in a much different position to that of last year".
And Health Minister Stephen Donnelly says there is a 'very strong case' to extend this further.
"The advice I received from NIAC last night is that for those aged 60 and above, we can roll out a booster shot.
"This can the mRNA vaccine, regardless of the first vaccine you had."
He says this means even if someone received AstraZeneca as a vaccine, the booster dose will be Pfizer.
"I'm seeking further advice on healthcare workers, I think there's a very strong case to be made for a booster shot for healthcare workers.
"I know it's something that NIAC is looking at and indeed other Governments are looking at as well."