Newstalk
Newstalk

10.33 19 May 2017


Share this article


A Cork-based electrician has developed a simple product that identifies overheating electronics, in the hopes of preventing fires. 

Firemole is a young company founded by Sean O'Tuama that was born out of a personal experience. 

"I have been an electrician for years and saw the damage caused by electronic malfunctions. Around a year ago, there was an incident in my own house that made me wonder why there was nothing to help prevent chargers from overheating and catching fire", he told Newstalk.com.

O'Tuama's product is very simple and requires nothing more than placing the adhesive device on top of a plug. There is no app or set up required. If a plug is overheating, it sounds an alarm to alert the user, thus preventing injuries and fires. 

"If the Firemole detects temperatures over 54 degrees, the alarm will sound", explained O'Tuama. 

The company is currently taking pre-orders and aims to begin trading in the summer of 2017 in Ireland and the UK. They intend to have international distributors in place by 2018.

 


Share this article


Read more about

Business

Most Popular

Live: Title

Now playing

00:00:00 / 00:00:00
Added to queue
Removed from queue

On Air

Share

Share


Up next

Episode title
Show
Duration

You currently have no podcasts in your queue.

Go to podcasts

On Air

Best Of Newstalk

Best Of Newstalk

00:00-06:00

Share

Up next

BREAKFAST BRIEFING

BREAKFAST BRIEFING

06:00-06:30

Share

BREAKFAST BUSINESS

BREAKFAST BUSINESS

06:30-07:00

Share

NEWSTALK BREAKFAST

NEWSTALK BREAKFAST

07:00-09:00

Share

THE PAT KENNY SHOW

THE PAT KENNY SHOW

09:00-12:00

Share

LUNCHTIME LIVE

LUNCHTIME LIVE

12:00-14:00

Share

MONCRIEFF

MONCRIEFF

14:00-16:00

Share

THE HARD SHOULDER

THE HARD SHOULDER

16:00-19:00

Share

OFF THE BALL

OFF THE BALL

19:00-22:00

Share

SPLANC

SPLANC

22:00-00:00

Share

BEST OF NEWSTALK

BEST OF NEWSTALK

00:00-07:00

Share

00:00:00 / 00:00:00

Share on