Brazil's national team players are planning a boycott of this summer's Copa America, which is being held in Brazil.
The 47th edition of the South American championship is due to get underway on June 13. Originally to be staged in Colombia and Argentina, the former withdrew from hosting duties in May with Argentina following last week.
After intervention from Brazil's far-right president Joao Bolsonaro, CONMEBOL handed the tournament over to Brazil for the second renewal in a row.
Brazil is set to host the Copa America against a backdrop of 469,000 deaths from COVID-19 since the pandemic began, with over 83,000 new cases reported on Thursday (June 3).
Head coach Tite said on Thursday that his Brazil players had spoken with football federation (CBF) president, Rogério Caboclo.
"They have an opinion, they exposed it to the president ... and they will expose it to the public at the appropriate time," Tite said, "That is why our captain Casemiro is absent today."
Caboclo has threatened to sack former Middlesbrough playmaker Juninho Paulista (now the national team coordinator) for failing to control the players.
But the squad themselves remain unbowed. They've reportedly begun contacting leading figures of the other Copa America finalists in an effort to drum up solidarity for their cause.
The Brazilian squad contains Premier League stars like Alisson, Fabinho, Roberto Firmino (all Liverpool), Ederson, Gabriel Jesus (both Manchester City) as well as Neymar.
“Carlo Ancelotti is a great manager” | Bale could revive Madrid career