The decision by rank and file Gardaí to pull overtime hours has been described as 'regrettable' by Justice Minister Helen McEntee.
Delegates of the Garda Representative Association (GRA) have voted for strike action on November 10th, and have warned that other members of the force may follow
The decision was taken at a special delegate conference in Kilkenny and comes two weeks after 99% of GRA members voted no confidence in Garda Commissioner Drew Harris.
They also voted not to work overtime on Budget Day and Halloween night; they will do the same on 3rd, 17th and 24th of October.
Gardaí plan to withdraw labour in what is being called the 'Drew Flu'.
Gardaí met with the Commissioner on Tuesday in an effort to resolve the dispute, which they described as "a complete waste of time".
Speaking in Brussels, Minister McEntee called for all sides to get back around the table and talk.
"Yesterday's decision is regrettable, I think the facts are very clear here," she said.
"There's nobody - and that means the Garda Commissioner nor the Garda Associations - who believes that either the current roster, or the previous and incumbent roster, is the right roster moving forward.
"We all want to negotiate a new roster that is suitable for the needs of the public today, and that of course works for members of An Garda Síochána.
"The only way that that can be found is through negotiation.
"Talks are still on going, there will be a meeting today between the Garda Commissioner of An Garda Commissioner with the four associations.
"It's absolutely imperative that all four associations, including the GRA, are around the table for the discussion."
'Always lessons to be learned'
Asked if she had concerns around Budget Day security on October 10th, Minister McEntee said she has received assurances from Commissioner Harris.
"The Garda Commissioner has assured me there will be sufficient presence of Gardaí on the ground on the day, should there be a repeat of what happened last week," she said.
"There are always lessons to be learned and that will certainly be the case.
"He has assured me there will be a sufficient Garda presence on the day," she added.
On Newstalk Breakfast, Former Garda Assistant Commissioner for Dublin Dr Pat Leahy said the whole situation was unfortunate.
"I think we're in a very unfortunate position at the moment, and what makes it more unfortunate is that it's playing out in public," he said.
"The key stakeholder in all of this, which are members of the public, are listening to this.
"There's a fear element to it now for people that are wondering, 'Are the Guards going to go on strike on Sunday? Are we going to be without our police service?'
"This is really unsavory for everybody."
'It's not an alternative'
Dr Leahy said he believes a withdrawal of services is the wrong way to go.
"Our police service have to be available at all times," he said.
"That's the basic requirement... this is what our citizenry expect: that the police will be there, the police will respond when the public are in need.
"So from my perspective no, it's not an alternative.
"There is a meeting this morning we're told, so hopefully people will have reflected overnight on their position and loosened up those positions.
"Instead of thinking in the context of positions, look at the interest that they're trying to preserve or trying to protect," he added.
Listen back here:
Additional reporting: Sean Defoe