A man has died after being assaulted in Sligo Town earlier this week.
Gardaí said the 39-year-old suffered apparent head injuries in a “serious assault” on Rockwood Parade shortly after 6pm on Tuesday.
He was treated at the scene before being taken to Sligo University Hospital. He was then transferred to Beaumont Hospital where he has since died.
Gardaí said the scene, beside the river in the centre of town, has been preserved and a forensic examination has been conducted.
They said a postmortem will now determine the course of their investigation.
Investigators are appealing for witnesses to come forward. They are particularly interested in speaking to anyone who was in the area between 5pm and 5:15pm and may have camera footage.
The investigation is continuing.