The Israel Defence Force (IDF) has claimed Hamas are preventing civilians from leaving north Gaza as Israel prepares a military defence in the region.
IDF Spokesperson Jonathan Conricus said aerial footage shows the group is using vans and blockades in designated road corridors for civilians to prevent them evacuating to south Gaza.
Israel also denied today that it was behind an attack on a lorry load of Palestinian civilians fleeing an expected military offensive in northern Gaza.
IDF Spokesperson Peter Lerner said it was a "booby trap" left by Hamas militants.
On Friday, the IDF ordered the 1.1 million people living in north Gaza to evacuate within 24 hours as it prepares an expected attack on ground, sea and air.
Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu told troops in southern Israel on Saturday that “the next stage is coming” as it enters its ninth day of conflict.
Hamas urged civilians in Gaza to stay in their homes.
Israel has also began cutting off electricity, water and food supplies into Gaza, which Taoiseach Leo Varadkar called a “breach of international humanitarian law” earlier this week.
The Irish Red Cross has issued an appeal to Irish people to donate to the International Committee of the Red Cross who are helping civilians in both Palestinian and Israeli territories.
Irish Red Cross Secretary General Deirdre Garvey said hospitals in Gaza are “at risk of turning into morgues”.
“Equally in Israel, we are seeing situations where people are worried sick for the lives of those hostages,” she said.
“We are calling for all of the parties involved to observe international humanitarian law.
“Hostages must be released and humanitarian actors are not a target.”