Eight food businesses were issued with closure orders last month for food safety breaches.
The Food Safety Authority of Ireland (FSAI) said three of the businesses were in Dublin - while the others were Carlow, Kilkenny, Tipperary, Limerick and Kildare.
In Dublin City Centre, Govinda's restaurant on Middle Abbey Street was ordered to close due to an "obvious cockroach infestation."
Inspectors also found spilt food throughout the premises and sticky deposits on all the shelves and surfaces in the kitchen and a thick layer of grease on the floor behind cooking equipment.
At the Okra Green Restaurant in Howth, inspectors saw a bird flying out he back door of the kitchen and evidence of birds being fed outside
They also found that staff had received no food safety training.
Diamond Pizza in Drumcondra was found to be in an "extremely dirty condition throughout with no evidence of cleaning taking place."
Inspectors said there was evidence of a fly infestation in the kitchen and no hot water in wash hand basins.
At Fresh Bite in Callan, County Kilkenny inspectors found mould growing on shelves in refrigerators, with a film of grease on cooking equipment, fridges and work surfaces.
They also found that monitoring and cleaning records were filled out in advance with non-factual details. The records were dated up to 11 days ahead of when the inspection was carried out.
Meanwhile toilet bowls and basins were found to be "filthy," as were the floor and walls of the food store.
Inspectors said the wash hand basin at Needs Asian Grocery in Carlow was being used to store equipment and had no running water.
There was no hot water in the sink meant for washing equipment.
There was a build-up of rubbish straight outside the back-door of the premises and no evidence of routine cleaning taking place.
FSAI chief executive Dr Pamela Byrne said it is "extremely disturbing" to see a food business "filling out records in advance with completely nonfactual information."
"This behaviour demonstrates a reckless attitude to food safety and a disregard for the health of their customers.
"It is completely unacceptable that workers in some food businesses are unable to demonstrate adequate food hygiene knowledge and skills.
"Some food businesses are failing to provide high food safety standards in their premises and among their staff.
She said the failures have the potential to cause a serious risk to consumer health and urged food businesses to act responsibility to protect their customers.