Body of missing British backpacker (22) found in Vietnam

Aiden Webb had set off on his own to climb the country's tallest mountain

aiden webb

Image: Help us find Aiden in Vietnam / Facebook

The body of a British backpacker who went missing in northern Vietnam has been found by a team who were searching for him, according to local reports.

Aiden Webb, from Norwich, had been travelling with his girlfriend, Bluebell Baughan, when the experienced climber set off on his own to conquer the country's tallest mountain, Fansipan, last Friday.

He later alerted his girlfriend that he was in trouble, had hurt his knee, torn open his arm and lost his flashlight after falling by a waterfall. But his phone ran out of battery soon afterwards.

Vietnam's state run news agency said a rescue team found the 22-year-old's body less than a mile from a cable car system to the summit on Thursday morning. They estimated he had died three days ago.

Nguyen Quang Vinh, head of Hoang Lien National Park in Lao Cai province, confirmed the discovery, the VnExpress reported.

It comes after his father, Trevor Webb, arrived in Vietnam on Tuesday to join the search 
His family set up a Facebook page called "Help us find Aiden in Vietnam" after he went missing.

A fundraising page was also set up to help aid the search.

The backpacker had recently been climbing without a rope, a post on his Facebook profile suggested.

"So today, I completed my first official Free Soloing rock climbs," he wrote on May 28th.

"Never had so much fun and never had my mind so clear and empty."

Locals watching his climb called him "both crazy and spiderman", he said, before reassuring his family: "I'm actually a very safe climber and know my limits."

A British Foreign Office spokeswoman said: "Vietnamese authorities have this morning confirmed they have found a body in the same area that British national Aiden Webb went missing.

"A formal identification of the body has not yet been conducted.

"Our staff have been supporting Mr Webb’s family and friends since he went missing and our thoughts are with them at this difficult time."