Ronan McCarthy has officially left the role of Cork senior football manager.
Cork GAA confirmed the widely reported news on Tuesday afternoon.
The Douglas native had been in charge for the past four years. Despite seeking to see out the remainder of his current two-year term, a meeting of the county executive on Monday night had other ideas.
McCarthy led Cork to Munster football finals in each of his four years at the helm, but they lost all of them. Last year saw them fall to an historic Tipperary victory.
County chairperson Marc Sheehan said, "Ronan has been an outstanding servant to Cork GAA over many years, and I would like to thank him both personally and on behalf of Cork for all that he has done.
"We wish Ronan, his selectors and backroom team all the best in their future endeavours and thank all involved for an immeasurable contribution over a number of years.”
The Irish Examiner reported that some members of the Cork squad were happy for McCarthy to continue, but others were not.
Among the favourites to replace him are Bobbie O'Dwyer, who led Cork to All Ireland Minor Championship glory in 2019.
Neither Cian O'Neill - a coach under McCarthy - nor current U20 coach Keith Ricken are believed to be live candidates to take the reins.
In a statement, Cork GAA said a "process will now be put in place for the appointment of a new manager".