State-funded IVF will be introduced next Monday, for the first time in the history of the State.
As part of Budget 2023, the State secured €10 million for reproductive treatment, which is to be provided through private clinics.
The IVF treatment will be given to couples who have had no more than one privately-funded round.
Access criteria for couples will include a known clinical cause of infertility, and the number of children a couple already have will be considered.
Up to three cycles of intrauterine insemination (IUI) will be covered for those deemed clinically eligible for treatment.
The State has implemented maximum age limits and Body Mass Index requirements for eligibility – a move some have said is exclusionary.
Public funding will be commenced on a structured and phased basis. Treatment involving donated materials such as an egg or sperm, for example, will not be funded until necessary legislation has passed.
Ahead of its launch next week, Health Minister Stephen Donnelly has said around 3,000 couples a year will get State-funded IVF.
"It was a really important commitment in the budget last year," he said.
"A lot of people at the time said they would be very, very surprised if within one year we'd be able to roll out, on time, this State-funded access to IVF and I'm delighted to be able to say that we are on track and as of next week, access will be provided.
"Our estimate for a full year is about 3,000 couples per year – that can be expanded and my intention is that would be expanded over time."