Disney has rehired Guardians of the Galaxy director James Gunn for the next entry in the series, after previously firing him for old tweets.
Last July, US conservative commentators highlighted a series of provocative jokes tweeted by the filmmaker several years ago.
At the time, Disney - who own Marvel Studios - claimed the jokes were "indefensible and inconsistent with our studio's values" and fired the writer & director from the planned Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3.
The studio's decision prompted a significant backlash, including from the film's cast who wrote an open letter in support of the filmmaker.
Although I don’t support James Gunn’s inappropriate jokes from years ago, he is a good man. I’d personally love to see him reinstated as director of Volume 3. If you please, read the… https://t.co/FWBXkZilB7
— chris pratt (@prattprattpratt) July 30, 2018
Dave Bautista was particularly vocal in support of Gunn, indicating he was considering not continuing with the series unless the director was reinstated.
However, US media outlets today reported the news that Disney has now reversed its decision and Gunn will be returning for Volume 3 of the hit series.
In his first tweet since last summer, Gunn said he was "tremendously grateful" for everyone who's supported him over the past few months.
He said: "I am always learning and will continue to work at being the best human being I can be.
"I deeply appreciate Disney's decision and I am excited to continue making films that investigate the ties of love that bind us all.
"I have been, and continue to be incredibly humbled by your love and support."
The filmmaker had previously being hired to write the next entry in rival comic book studio DC's Suicide Squad series, and has been rumoured to be in talks to direct as well.
According to Deadline, that project - due for release in 2021 - will go ahead, and Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 3 will come after.