British actor Idris Elba has confirmed he has tested positive for coronavirus.
He said he feels okay and currently has no symptoms but has been in isolation since he discovered that he may have been exposed to the virus.
In a Tweet he said: "This morning I tested positive for COVID-19. I feel ok, I have no symptoms so far but have been isolated since I found out about my possible exposure to the virus.
"Stay home people and be pragmatic. I will keep you updated on how I'm doing. No panic."
In an accompanying video, Elba says he was tested after he discovered he had been in contact with someone else who had also tested positive for COVID-19.
This morning I tested positive for Covid 19. I feel ok, I have no symptoms so far but have been isolated since I found out about my possible exposure to the virus. Stay home people and be pragmatic. I will keep you updated on how I’m doing 👊🏾👊🏾 No panic. pic.twitter.com/Lg7HVMZglZ
— Idris Elba (@idriselba) March 16, 2020
He also urged followers to think about social distancing and washing their hands, adding they should be vigilant to mitigate the spread of the virus.
His announcement comes as it was confirmed that 53 people had now died after testing positive for coronavirus in the UK.
British Prime Minister Boris Johnson also announced new measures as part of his new daily press conferences, asking people to avoid pubs, bars and theatres to try and slow the spread of coronavirus.
Reporting by IRN