Hospitals are aiming to reinstate as many appointments and services as possible today, after a planned strike by support staff was called off.
Around 10,000 workers from 38 hospitals and healthcare facilities were due to stage a 24-hour walkout in a row over the implementation of pay rises.
However, SIPTU has confirmed the strike will not go ahead today to allow emergency talks to take place at the Workplace Relations Commission today.
In a statement, the HSE welcomed the decision to defer the strike.
They said: "Hospitals will endeavour to reinstate services and appointments in so far as possible and will contact patients directly to advise of any appointments and procedures that can proceed.
"Community services will operate a full service."
The health service had previously warned that 'significant disruption' was expected during the planned 24-hour strike.
Announcing their decision to defer the strike, SIPTU said they made decision pending the outcome of emergency talks at the WRC.
However, they're continuing to prepare for further planned strike action next Tuesday and Wednesday.
The union has accused the Government of failing to honour the outcome of an independent job evaluation procedure that its members took part in under the Public Service Pay Agreement.
It said the evaluation found that workers are underpaid and should be moved to a higher pay band.
However, they say the Government has failed to honour their commitments.
Staff involved in the dispute include health care assistants, lab aids, hospital theatre workers, porters, cleaners and industry chefs.