An Taoiseach Micheál Martin says he cannot rule out further COVID-19 restrictions in the coming weeks.
A new 12.00am midnight curfew has been set for the hospitality sector from Thursday, along with changes to self-isolation rules for households.
Meanwhile people will now have to show Digital COVID Certs to visit cinemas and theatres, regardless of how many people are attending.
And they are also being advised to work from home "unless it is absolutely necessary they attend in person."
Ministers were given a stark warning about the impact of the virus on hospitals and ICU admissions over the coming weeks.
The Taoiseach says the last week has seen the highest rate of COVID hospitalisation since January – and warned that for every four cases detected in Ireland, there could be as many as six that are undetected.
And Mr Martin says the Government will have to keep its options open on further restrictions.
"Will it be sufficient to reduce the - NPHET have put in a caveat also that further measures cannot be ruled out.
"I'll be very honest about that - future measures cannot be ruled out - but we'll observe and monitor the situation over the coming weeks."
He says the main objective is to reduce socialisation.
"We're not ruling out any further measures, we'll keep it under review.
"And I think the key point, however, the overall objective is to reduce socialisation across the board.
"The workplace decision - to work from home - will help that in terms of people's mobility.
"That will be impactful, as will the other measures also in terms of the household contacts".
A full household will have to go into a five-day isolation if anyone in that household is a confirmed case of COVID-19.
They will be sent antigen tests to take at home across a number of days.
Additional reporting: Jack Quann