The Government is “exploring all options” to allow Electric Picnic to go ahead – including holding it as a pilot event.
In a statement this afternoon, the Arts Minister Catherine Martin said she had been in contact with the promoters MCD.
She said she is engaging with her Government colleagues on the promoter’s request for the festival to go ahead and was “examining the legal position” as the Government considers NPHET’s latest advice on the next phase of reopening.
It emerged this morning that NPHET is recommending that many of the remaining COVID-19 related restrictions could be lifted in as little as six weeks' time.
The Government is due to announce its roadmap next week NPHET’s advice could clear the way for ministers to loosen restrictions on a phased basis during September and into October.
Yesterday, Laois County Council insisted it was unable to reverse its decision to refuse to grant Electric Picnic a licence – claiming there was “no provision in law” enabling it to revisit or reconsider its position.
It also noted that “nothing has changed as regards advice from the HSE, nor has there been any change to the Government Public Health Measures in place in respect of hosting of outdoor events.”
The updated advice from NPHET appears to have changed that position and senior Government ministers are now looking for a way for the event to go ahead.
On Newstalk Breakfast this morning, Fine Gael Senator Regina Doherty criticised Cabinet members over their failure to hold a debate on live events and Electric Picnic ‘weeks ago.’
She said senior ministers should be “embarrassed” they left Minister Martin out of key meetings on easing restrictions on live events last week.
Senior ministers meet tomorrow to discuss the latest NPHET recommendations, ahead of a full Cabinet meeting next Tuesday.