The interval between a COVID-19 vaccine and booster shot, for those who had the virus, is being reduced.
Health Minister Stephen Donnelly has accepted new recommendations to reduce this window to three months.
Prior to this, the interval was six months.
The recommendations were made by the National Immunisation Advisory Committee (NIAC) to the Chief Medical Officer - who has endorsed them.
On Monday, the HSE administered 76,000 doses of COVID-19 vaccines - the majority of which were booster doses.
Minister Donnelly says: "I welcome this update to our booster vaccination programme.
"As with the update to the programme I announced last week, decreasing the interval for booster doses in those who have had a breakthrough infection is an important step given Ireland’s current epidemiological situation."
He says this is particularly significant due to the Omicron variant.
"The emergence of Omicron has prompted this amendment, specifically the significant concerns we have about the risk of re-infection - which is estimated to be approximately five-fold higher with Omicron compared to the Delta strain.
"Christmas week is an important time for many people as we look forward to seeing family and friends and taking a break at the end of a challenging year.
"This year, it is important that we take all the measures we can to break the chains of transmission from COVID-19.
"Each of us can take actions this week to protect ourselves and our loved ones, even if this means rethinking plans for the Christmas period, especially if you are not yet boosted or vaccinated", he adds.
He also asks people to continue to come forward for their booster dose.
"Do not wait until after Christmas. You will be fully protected seven days after you receive your booster", he says.