The Government's planned childcare scheme for frontline healthcare workers has been cancelled.
It was due to start next Monday and would have seen childcare professionals provide the service in family homes.
In a statement, Children's Minister Katherine Zappone says it is now been cancelled due to the poor uptake by providers - with only six signing up.
Minister Zappone said it's now clear that low number is unlikely to change.
The proposal, which was launched last week, would have seen childcare workers look after the children of healthcare staff, with families paying €90 per week.
However, it soon emerged that childcare providers had been warned their insurance would not cover them for COVID-19 claims if they took part in the Government scheme.
In a statement, the Department of Children said: "A variety of reasons have been put forward for the low sign-up rate.
"These include availability of insurance cover, concerns about possible virus transmission, difficulties in meeting employer responsibilities in relation to breaks and rest periods, and concerns about a lack of protection for staff working alone."
The statement adds: "The Department was always conscious of the fact that the 27,000 workforce consisted predominantly of women, many of whom had their own parental and caring responsibilities and some of whom had underlying health conditions.
"However, it had been hoped that sufficient numbers would come forward to enable the scheme to operate."
The Government says it is still committed to developing solutions to issues surrounding childcare.
Under the roadmap for reopening the country, it's currently planned that crechés and other childminding services will resume in 'phase three' in late June for children of essential workers.
Services would then be expanded to include children of all other workers three weeks later, but initially only on a limited basis of one or two days per week.