There are calls for an independent investigation to be launched following the conviction of man for the rape of his seven daughters and sister.
The Tipperary Rural Traveller Project says the State failed the women.
75-year-old James O'Reilly of Ballynonty, Thurles in Co Tipperary was jailed for 20 years on Monday for the repeated rape and sexual abuse of his seven daughters and his younger sister.
The victims were also regularly beaten and starved.
O'Reilly's rape of one daughter caused her to become pregnant in late 1988. He continued to rape her during the pregnancy.
At the time O’Reilly told his daughter to allege she had been raped by another man.
He continued abusing her and only stopped when she threatened him with a knife.
Later DNA tests confirmed he was the father, a factor which was used to secure his conviction.
After the sentencing hearing, the victims spoke outside court and asked why the statutory authorities did not intervene sooner - and were they not protected because they were members of the travelling community.
Jack Griffin of the Tipperay Rural Travellers Project says they support the women's call for an independent investigation.
He said: "The question is how did that extent of abuse go on for so long without being addressed or an intervention when the family were in contact with the school, with medical professionals, with maybe social care workers.
"That's what we'd be asking for, that there'd be an inquest into that to see where were the systemic failures and what can be extrapolated from that and what can be learned from that".
"They were left exposed and vulnerable as children, voiceless.
"So we need to listen to that, and we need to learn from that.
"To say that this is a tragedy and move on isn't sufficient - we need to look at where the failures were, at various points why there were not interventions."
Cliona Sadlier from the Rape Crisis Network said: "Was there racism involved - and structural racism involved - in this persisting.
"And if there wasn't, then what went wrong anyway?".
In a joint statement, the women said they are revealed justice had been done, and that the crimes committed against them as children are no longer hidden or denied by anybody.
Reporting by: Kacey O'Riordan