Bus Éireann has confirmed it will be increasing night-time security at Busáras in Dublin from this weekend.
It follows complaints from bus drivers, who had threatened to withdraw from late night services if security wasn't ramped up.
The National Bus and Rail Union (NBRU) warned that its members would refuse to pick up and drop off passengers after 8pm from September 16th if there was no action.
They pointed to an alleged assault on a driver at the central bus station in Dublin last month.
Today, Bus Éireann confirmed they will have an additional security guard at the station every night, starting this Sunday.
In a statement, the bus company said the "safety and security of both our staff and customers is of paramount importance".
It adds: "We can confirm that with effect from Sunday the 15th of September 2019, Bus Éireann will be increasing the security presence within Busáras.
"We currently have two security personnel present on a 24-7 basis and in addition to this, we will be increasing this to a third security officer on a seven-day week basis between 8pm and midnight."
Reacting to the announcement, NBRU general secretary Dermot O'Leary said his union's members have reported a number of very serious incidents at Busáras recently.
He explained: "On the back of that, our members told us quite clearly unless the security was ramped up quite significantly down there that from this Monday after 8pm they wouldn't be servicing that area.
"Just around midday today, the company came back and have indicated that they would be ramping that security detail up significantly."
He added: "We'll give the company and the security personnel the opportunity to demonstrate that it may work... if it doesn't then the people who work for Bus Éireann [will] make their own decisions.
"The reaction of our members now will be incident led - [based on] whatever incident happens next, depending on how serious it is."