The Wexford student who has been awarded 9 A1s in his Leaving Cert says he was actually quite worried about his results and he has been having nightmares all summer about having to repeat Seconday School.
Mark Berney, from Gorey Community School, in Co. Wexford, has come top of a class of some 55,000 students.
The country's only 9 A1 Leaving Cert student: Mark Berney from Gorey, Co. Wexford pic.twitter.com/a1Frzu5m57
— Brian O'Donovan (@BrianODTV3) August 14, 2013
He has been speaking to our reporter.
Speaking to South-East Radio, Gorey Community School Vice Principal Frank Duke says Mark took two optional subjects and scored top marks in them all.
"The State Exams Commission were on to us there earlier on, so - he took two extra subjects himself, he did biology and Italian on his own, and seven other subjects in school.
"So we had a few other exceptional results as well too...but obviously we didn't have anyone else taking nine subjects - very happy with our results actually, very happy" he added.
The schools with top results this year are:
- Mount Mercy, Model Farm Road, Cork City
- Colaiste Spioraid Naomh, Bishopstown, Cork City
- St. Francis Capuchin College Rochestown Cork
- Loreto Convent, Fermoy, Co. Cork
- Deutchse Schule, St Killian’s, Roebuck Road, Clonskeagh Dublin 14
- Dominican College, Taylors Hill, Galway City
- Presentation Secondary School, Miltown, Killarney, Co. Kerry
- St. Vincents Secondary School Dundalk, Co. Louth
- Kilrush Community School, Kilrush, Co. Clare
Gorey Community School, where A student Mark Berney studied for his Leaving Cert
Over 55,000 students nationwide are getting their results today - early birds, like these students at Loreto College in Dublin, have been celebrating.