People are being warned about the dangers of eating wild mushrooms after a person was hospitalised in Co Longford.
Foraging is becoming a more and more popular pastime in recent years.
But there is a warning people might not know enough to do it safely.
Dr Ger Maher is senior medical officer of public health with the Midlands HSE.
He says some of the most dangerous mushrooms that grow in Ireland can look like they are edible.
He says the wrong mushroom could be fatal.
"There are a number of particular strains of mushroom that actually look very edible - they look like ordinary mushrooms and they look very innocent and edible.
"It is possible that somebody could pick them, could cook them and could eat them - and would not initially feel unwell.
"But they can cause very serious illness - in some instances, it could prove fatal."
"If they're in any way guessing about those mushrooms as to their safety, they should not eat them or cook them - and they should just discard them completely".
Main image: File photo shows wild mushrooms in Alaska, US | Image: Glenda Christina/Zuma Press/PA Images