YouTube has announced an all-star line up for their new ad-supported shows.
Ellen DeGeneres, Katy Perry, Kevin Hart and Demi Lovato have all signed up for original, high-quality programmes that will be available to users around the world on YouTube.
What is 'ad-supported', you may wonder?
This means the project is funded by a sponsor, ensuring the company and the stars get their money, but we the consumer can watch for free. It's an alternative way to work, in comparison to Netflix for example. Netflix offers ad-free content but their offering does require a subscription.
“We see these shows as a way to partner with you to buck this trend," said YouTube Chief Business Officer Robert Kyncl, speaking at #Brandcast.
The streaming giant gave a brief insight into what the new shows entail.
- Ellen’s Show Me More Show: Like nothing Ellen has done before, Ellen’s Show Me More Show is a twice-a-week series built just for YouTube, giving fans behind the scenes access to some of the biggest stars and her favorite moments.
- Good Mythical Morning: Worldwide YouTube superstars—and hosts of YouTube’s most popular daily show—Rhett & Link will go to new heights in a long-form expansion of Good Mythical Morning, giving fans even more of what they crave: larger-than-life stunts, zanier challenges, and over-the-top laughs.
- Kevin Hart: What the Fit?: Kevin will team up with celebrity friends and YouTube stars each week as they attempt to master a different trending, grueling and sometimes ridiculous workout routine.
- I Am: Demi Lovato: Global music sensation and social advocate, Demi Lovato reveals a yearlong personal journey of music reinvention and deep discovery as she dives into the writing and recording of her new album in her new series, I Am: Demi Lovato.
- Best.Cover.Ever.: From Ryan Seacrest Productions and Endemol Shine North America, Best.Cover.Ever. is a cutting-edge talent competition series hosted by Ludacris where emerging talent from across the globe submit covers to YouTube to vie for the ultimate prize: an opportunity to perform a duet with a superstar artist. Submit your cover now at thebestcoverever.com.
- The Super Slow Show: YouTube stars The Slow Mo Guys will test the latest in technology to reinvent the way we look at celebrities, music, pranks, comedy sketches and more, giving a one-of-a-kind glimpse into what the world looks like in slow motion.
- Katy Perry Live Special: It's real. It's raw. It's Katy Perry. Live on YouTube, The Katy Perry Live Special will take you inside of her world, revealing the experiences and emotions she poured into her all-new soul-baring music on the eve of her highly anticipated album launch. With unique access, global reach and surprise fun packed along the way, Katy will break it all down in this album listen-along, and if you stick around long enough, there might just be fireworks.
The company recently faced stern criticism after it emerged that ads were running offensive content, without the knowledge of the advertisers.
YouTube CEO, Susan Wojcicki addressed the issue.
“We apologise for letting some of you down. I’m here to say that we can and we will do better. Over the past few weeks, our teams have been working around the clock to make important changes to make sure ads show up in the right place.”