Texas bombing suspect left "confession" as police closed in

The 23-year-old suspect died in an explosion in his car

Texas bombing suspect left "confession" as police closed in

The vehicle where the Texas bombing suspect blew himself up as authorities closed in, 21-03-2018. Image: Jay Janner/AP/Press Association Images

The man suspected of carrying out a series of bombings in Texas left a “confession” as police closed in around him.

Mark Conditt is thought to have carried out the bombings - killing two men and injuring several others.

The 23-year-old blew himself up as a police SWAT team approached his vehicle outside Austin on Wednesday.

The bombing campaign continued for almost three weeks as hundreds of police and federal agents conducted a massive investigation.

The manhunt came to an end yesterday with Conditt’s death in an explosion in his car.


Police have described a 25 minute recording found on a phone in the hours after as a “confession.”

It is thought to have been recorded late on Tuesday night, as police closed in on their suspect.

Mr Manley said that Conditt "does not at all mention anything about terrorism - nor does he mention anything about hate."

"Instead, it is the outcry of a very challenged young man talking about challenges in his personal life that led him to this point," he added.

Mr Manley said that Conditt described seven devices on the recording and that police had "accounted for the devices that we have known about."


The motives for the bombings and how Conditt chose his victims remain unclear, however.

Earlier in the day, police searched a home in the Austin suburb of Pflugerville, where Conditt lived with two roommates.

Fred Milanowski, special agent in charge, said: "I wouldn't call it a bomb-making factory, but there are definitely components consistent with what we've seen in all these other devices."

Conditt was part of a religious family and was home-schooled, except for a brief spell at a community college, according to the Houston Chronicle.


In a 2012 blog he described himself as "conservative", arguing against gay marriage, saying homosexuality was "not natural," slamming the sex offenders' registry and backing the death penalty.

In a statement released to CNN, Conditt's family described themselves as "normal in every way," saying they were not aware of the "darkness" their son "must have been in."


Conditt's bombing spree killed two men - Anthony Stephan House, 39, and Draylen Mason, 17.

Mr House died after a device exploded at his home in Austin in the first attack on 2 March.

Mr Mason was killed and his mother critically injured in a blast on 13 March by a package left on their doorstep.

Hours later, a 75-year-old woman was also critically injured after another package exploded in Austin.

On Sunday, two men, aged 22 and 23, were seriously hurt in an explosion involving a tripwire device.

In the early hours of Tuesday, a FedEx worker was hurt after a package bound for Austin containing nails and shrapnel blew up at a distribution centre in the San Antonio town of Schertz.

Later that day, another explosive package was intercepted before going off at a FedEx facility outside Austin airport.

A sixth explosion in Texas on Tuesday night was not linked to the previous incidents.