Irish consulate staff due to visit Pat Hickey in Rio prison

OCI chief likely to make a fresh bail application when he appears in court tomorrow

Irish consulate staff due to visit Pat Hickey in Rio prison

Pat Hickey | File photo: PA Images

Officials from the Irish embassy in Brazil are due to meet with Pat Hickey in prison today.  

The president of the Olympic Council of Ireland (OCI), who is being held at Rio's Bangu remand jail, is due to appear before a judge tomorrow.

Mr Hickey is likely to make a fresh bail application during his first court appearance since his arrest last week. 

He could be facing up to seven years in jail if found guilty of ticket touting.

Earlier today, the OCI announced a 'crisis management' team to investigate the Rio ticket scandal.

The three-person group will include Sarah Keane of Swim Ireland, Professor Ciaran O'Cathain of Athletics Ireland and Robert Norwood from the Snowsports Association.

A statement was released by the OCI following a marathon five-hour meeting overnight by its executive committee.

This was the committee's first meeting in person since the games began in Rio.

It discussed recent events in Rio regarding ticketing arrangements at the games, which it says it "takes very seriously".

The subcommittee will also appoint an international accountancy firm to conduct an independent review of ticketing arrangements in Rio.

The firm will be selected this week and its work will begin immediately.

The OCI says its terms of reference will also be published.

The report prepared by the firm will then be presented to the judge who will chair the State inquiry into the OCI's handling of ticketing at the Rio Olympics.

Meanwhile, in Rio, a judge has authorised police to seize the passport of FAI chief executive John Delaney.

Mr Delaney, who also serves as the Vice-President of the OCI, is among six people named on a warrant calling for the surrender of their travel documents.

Three of those executives have already handed over their passports and had their phones and laptops seized.

No arrests have been made but the officials have agreed to go to police stations for questioning.