The Education Minister Joe McHugh has said he is “confident” all the children living in direct provision in Carrickmacross will soon be offered school places.
It comes after Newstalk revealed earlier this week that up to 30 children living at The M Hotel in the Co Monaghan town have not been attending school.
The failure to provide an education for the children is in breach of EU law.
Three post-primary children have been offered a school place on the back of this report from @NewstalkFM and the Education Minister is "confident" there will be places for the primary school children too https://t.co/Bfsw0a8I9r
— Seán Defoe (@SeanDefoe) November 26, 2019
In the Dáil on Tuesday evening, Minister McHugh said three of the children have been offered secondary school places.
He also said he is confident that there will be places for the rest of the children, who are of primary school age.
"There has been contact with officials from a post-primary principle earlier today - and he's happy to offer school places to the three post-primary children," he said.
"We're still waiting on feedback from the primary school principle, but I'm confident that there is a confidence that there will be sufficient places available in the local area to place all primary school children also."
"In line with the provisions of the EU directive, every effort is made to enroll children of international protection applicants who are residing in accommodation under contract to the Department of Justice and Equality - including emergency accommodation - in local schools as soon as possible.
"School enroll pupils in accordance with their respective enrollment policies.
"Following the receipt of an application for a school place, each school must advise of the outcome of each application in writing"