Unbeaten Spaniard Miriam Gutierrez has emerged as a potential opponent for Katie Taylor on August 22nd after the WBA called on the Bray fighter to defend her title.
It had been expected that Taylor would step into the ring with Amanda Serrano on the same card as Dillian Whyte's WBC interim heavyweight title defence against Alexander Povetkin at Matchroom Boxing's headquarters near London on August 22nd.
The former Olympic champion took to social media to call on Serrano to honour their previous agreement last weekend:
"We both signed contracts, all financial barriers have been removed and any training/travel issues are the same for both of us as I’m also training in the US. No more excuses, this is a fight to elevate the sport. August 22 is our time to make history. You in?"
Serrano hit back but as of now there's no indication that a deal has been struck for the Puerto Rican, who had also committed to a reality TV show this summer, to travel to England in August:
“I signed 4 contracts to fight Katie Taylor & despite what lies Eddie Hearn wants to say he offered us a purse deduction & a change of location in addition to yet another date May 2nd, July 4th now August 22nd my team will handle this.
“I’m Not a Toy I’m DONE WITH THE GAMES!”
Taylor's promoter Eddie Hearn has since claimed that he's reached out to Delphine Persoon in a bid to set up a rematch with the Belgian but a WBA title defence against Gutierrez has emerged as an alternative option after that governing body said Taylor's defence of their title is now "overdue".
"We support Katie's fight with Serrano and Persoon, but if it's not one of them then she must face her mandatory Gutierrez - it's been over two years since she won the title and her mandatory is overdue," WBA president Gilberto Mendoza told Sky Sports News.
Hearn insists that Taylor will have an opponent in time for next month's card.