One family pet is lucky to be alive after consuming the oddest objects from beer cans to mobile phone batteries.
The two-year-old pet has been taken to the vet 45 times because of his bizarre tastes but shows no sign of sticking to a normal dog’s diet.
Nelson, a cocker spaniel and golden retriever cross, nearly died when he chewed through a battery and swallowed the acid inside.
Owner Dawn Ashley said Nelson started by eating stationery as a puppy.
‘He is just very inquisitive and wants to try everything,’ added Ms Ashley in Essex in England.
‘We have learnt to never leave anything about the house within reaching distance of Nelson or he will destroy it – it’s like having a small child around the house.
‘I dread to think how much money we have spent on trips to the vet – thousands I imagine – but he is worth every penny.
‘He is very inquisitive and wants to try everything. I dread to think how much we have spent on bills.’
Vet practice manager Michelle Warwick said: ‘His peculiar diet has left him with long-term stomach damage but thanks to his owner’s quick actions he has escaped a far worse fate.’