Trinity college is providing all campus resident with battery-powered lamps in case of blackouts this winter.
The college told residents the battery torches are being provided “for your own safety” and must only be used in the event of a power outage.
It is also reminding students that candles are “strictly prohibited” in college accommodation.
“You may be aware from media reports that electricity suppliers in Ireland have advised of the possibility of power outages this winter,” the college told students in an email.
“For your safety, The University has purchased a battery powered lamp for each individual resident. Your lamp will be supplied with batteries however, it is your responsibility to check your lamp regularly and purchase your own replacement batteries.
“Each lamp is provided for your safety therefore it is essential they are only used in the event of a power outage. The lamps remain the property of The University and must remain in your bedroom when you depart.”
Students are encouraged to contact the college Accommodation Office to pick up their torch in the coming weeks.