Rival forces in Sudan have extended their truce as United Nations send an envoy amid "deteriorating" crisis
Sudan’s army and its rival paramilitary said on Sunday they will extend their ceasefire by 72 hours.
The decision follows international pressure to allow the safe passage of civilians and aid - but this truce has not yet prevented clashes.
The agreement has de-escalated the fighting in some areas, but violence continues to push civilians to flee as the conflict enters its third week.
An emergency relief coordinator for the United Nations is now due to travel to Sudan due to the “rapidly deteriorating” crisis.
A spokesperson for UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said, “The scale and speed of what is unfolding is unprecedented in Sudan.”
“We are extremely concerned by the immediate as well as long-term impact on all people in Sudan, and the broader region.”
UN Chief and Emergency Relief Coordinator Martin Griffiths said conflict is a “breaking point”.
At least 528 dead
At least 528 people have been killed and 4,599 wounded, the health ministry said. The United Nations has reported a similar number of dead but believes the real toll is much higher.
More than two-thirds of hospitals in areas with active fighting are out of service, a national doctors’ association has said, citing a shortage of medical supplies, health workers, water and electricity.
Sudanese Army Chief Abdel Fattah Burhan and paramilitary Rapid Support Forces leader Mohammed Hamdan Dagalo previously coordinated a military coup in 2019.
They are now in crisis following a proposed transition to civilian rule that would see the RSF integrate into the Sudanese army.
Tanáiste Michael Martin confirmed yesterday 209 Irish citizens have been evacuated and the Emergency Civil Assistance Team (ECAT) would withdraw from Cyprus.