With shops set to remain closed for the rest of the month, many people are taking a different approach to the Christmas shop this year.
On The Hard Shoulder this evening, Sinead Ryan, finance journalist and presenter of The Home Show, said Irish companies are now offering up a host of fantastic subscription deals – with everything from craft beers to new socks sent to your loved ones’ door every month.
“This is about giving someone an extra little treat throughout 2021 rather than just on the day itself,” she said.
“Subscription gifts are the ones where you sign up to something monthly or quarterly and your gift keeps on giving throughout the whole year which I think is a lovely idea.”
You can find some of her top picks below:
A voucher for your loved one's favourite restaurant is fine, but maybe the chance to try something new is better.
- O'Briens Craft Beer Club has three-month (€84) or six month (€165) subscriptions which deliver six different beers directly to your door.
- 3FE.com sends a different speciality coffee each month for 6 months (€72) with notes. pick your blend or take "lucky drip" option.
- Ardkeen.com sends a 'Food Heroes' quarterly foodie box with seven to 10 items for €25 - €105.
- TheBookResort.ie ships a book from the genre of your choice, chocolate and an artisan gift with a handmade card every month for three months (€99) or 12 months (€390).
- The Readly app offers an account with up to five users 5,000 titles for €9.99 per month.
- An Irish Independent subscription, available for €19.99 a month with the first month discounted to €5, offers every issue of the Irish and Sunday Independent digitally in print layout.
- Papergang is an achingly cool brand, sending a gorgeous box of stationery, cards and stickers from €15.47 per month.
- The company also offers Barry’s Cactus Club subscriptions for €16.58.
The Young girl
A daughter or niece may like to receive a box of pads/tampons and treats each month. Irish company www.myladybug.ie sends them discreetly for €9.99 per month – or €95 for the whole year.
- Socks are a timeless gift. The London Sock Exchange sends a kooky new pair to your man every month for £72 (€80) per annum.
- Put a Sock In It will soon be available from Ohhdeer for €9.92 per month.
Clothes and Beauty
There are lots of subscription sites to choose from, offering everything from cosmetics to labels.
- Glossybox is loved by the younger cohort with a box of sample size makeup and accessories delivered every month from €59.75 for three months to €209 for 12 months. You can get the first one for €16 using code MAGIC.
- Ireland's Purcell & Woodcock sends a luxury candle, 50ml Diffuser and scented sachet each month for €25 per month (min three months).
- US retailer Birchbox is finally shipping from the UK to Ireland. Their beauty box comes in at around €12 with five beauty treats from a number of top brands.
- Natural Skincare Emporium – The Limerick Beauty Box comes in at €25 per month for three, six or 12 months.
- You can pick up a Freedm Street Cruelty-Free Treat Box for £22.95 to £39.95 (€25.46 to €44.32) every two months.
- The Vegan Kind has loads of options in food and beauty products from £8 (€8.88).
- The Foods of Athenry also offers a gorgeous Vegan Treat Box at €29.90.