Seán Gallagher has confirmed he is running for President.
Mr Gallagher came second to Michael D Higgins in the 2011 election, but led the polls entering the last week of the campaign.
He has decided to throw his hat into the ring for a second time and join the crowded field seeking nominations.
Mr Gallagher said "my focus clearly now is to continue to speak with and meet councillors across the country".
"I'm heartened overnight to hear there are some 10 nominations gone into 10 separate local authorities on my behalf nominating me and I'm deeply appreciative of those councillors who have come forward to offer their support," he added.
— Sean Defoe (@SeanDefoe) August 29, 2018
Mr Gallagher was asked why he is making a second bid for the presidency but refused to answer, saying he is not doing any media interviews until after he gets the nomination to run.
He'll need the support of four local authorities or 20 Oireachtas members to get on the ballot, something he'll likely achieve.
While his platform for running is unclear, sources indicated it would have a focus on a new and changing Ireland.
Mr Gallagher is understood to have conducted extensive polling over the last few months that has indicated Michael D Higgins' is not as guaranteed of re-election as many people think.
He joins candidates like Gavin Duffy, Joan Freeman, Kevin Sharkey and Gemma O'Doherty in looking for a nomination.
Sinn Féin will also run a candidate in the election.
Fine Gael councillors have been told by party whips they should "neither propose or support other candidates", but some are expected to break ranks and support Mr Duffy.