Ryan Tubridy has said he apologises unreservedly for not querying 'incorrect figures' published by RTÉ about his salary.
The presenter has said he will not broadcast his radio show next week.
It comes as outgoing RTÉ Director-General Dee Forbes has been suspended, amid fallout from the payment of hundreds of thousands of euro more to Mr Tubridy than it had declared to the public or the Oireachtas.
RTÉ executives have also been called before the Oireachtas Public Accounts Committee next week over the 'utterly unacceptable' pay scandal.
PAC Chair Brian said the committee is "demanding" the attendance of executives and Ms Forbes.
In a statement on Friday, Mr Tubridy said RTÉ's accounting of payments made to him between 2017 and 2022 "contained serious errors."
"While I have no responsibility for the corporate governance in RTÉ or how or what they publish in their accounts, when my earnings were published I should have asked questions at the time and sought answers as to the circumstances which resulted in incorrect figures being published," he said.
"I didn't, and I bear responsibility for my failure to do so. For this, I apologise unreservedly.
"For the avoidance of doubt, all my earnings from RTÉ have at all times been included in my company's accounts that were prepared by my accountant and filed with the Companies Registration Office and all my taxes are up to date.
"My filed accounts with details of these earnings have previously been reported on in the media".
Mr Tubridy also apologised to his co-workers and his audience.
"At the centre of all of this is trust. The trust of colleagues in RTÉ and the trust of a great many people who listen to my show," he said.
"To them: I wholeheartedly apologise for my error of judgement.
"Separately, it has been reported that I did not take a pay cut over the last number of years.
"This is simply not true. Over the period of my contract with RTÉ, I have been asked to take several reductions in salary and I did.
"Indeed, between 2012 and today, my pay from RTÉ was cut by approximately 40%.
"I also wish to respond to suggestions that this issue had some bearing on my decision to step down from hosting the Late Late Show. It did not.
"Finally, I am disappointed that RTÉ has decided that for editorial reasons I should not broadcast my radio show next week.
"I look forward to returning to the radio show, a job I love, as soon as possible and I hope my listeners and my colleagues appreciate my sincerity on this," he added.
In a statement also released on Friday, RTÉ Director-General Dee Forbes said she has been "fully engaged with the board since this matter arose."
"When asked in April 2023, I participated in the review conducted by Grant Thornton to determine the full circumstances and facts surrounding two specific payments to fulfil a contractual obligation for the years 2021 and 2022," she said.
"Yesterday was an extremely difficult day for all of us who care so deeply about the organisation and the impact of these issues is a matter of profound regret.
"I am proud of my contribution to RTÉ over the past seven years.
"Throughout my tenure as Director-General, I have always prioritised what I believe are the best interests of the organisation, in order to best serve the public.
"This includes pursuing a difficult cost cutting agenda as part of implementing a wider strategic agenda, all while navigating the unprecedented challenges of the pandemic," she added.