Gardaí say a 39-year-old man from Kilkenny was the victim of this morning's fatal stabbing in Dublin.
A large section of Dublin’s O'Connell Street was closed throughout the morning and early afternoon as gardaí investigated the death.
Investigators said the man was involved in a fight with another man on the street at around 1:40am last night.
He was taken to the Mater Hospital with apparent stab wounds and was pronounced dead a short time later.
It is believed the man walked for a distance down the street after he was injured.
A 28-year-old man was arrested close to the scene shortly after the attack. He remains in Garda custody this evening.
In a statement, gardaí said an officer had observed the two men before the fight began and requested that they be monitored on Garda CCTV.
Investigators said the member “immediately responded” after the fight broke out.
On arrival, the Garda found that one of the men had been stabbed and attempted to render first aid.
The garda was assisted by members of the public.
The dead man’s body has been taken to the Dublin City Morgue in Whitehall where State Pathologist Dr Margaret Bolster is expected to perform a postmortem later today.
Garda forensic investigators were at the scene throughout the morning and early afternoon with a large section of the road cordoned off.
The street was closed in both directions from the junction with Cathal Brugha Street as far down as the junction with Henry Street.
Bus and Luas services were also impacted by the closure.
— AA Roadwatch (@aaroadwatch) June 11, 2019
⚠️Green Line services are back operating all stops. Please expect delays as normal service is restored. Please accept our apologies for any and all inconvenience caused.
— Luas (@Luas) June 11, 2019
Shortly before 2pm this afternoon it was confirmed that O'Connell Street had reopened. All Dublin Bus and Bus Éireann routes are now operating as normal.
Luas services are also back running at all stops. Transdev has urged passengers to expect delays while normal service is resumed.
O'Connell Street closed off following a stabbing incident. Image : Kacey O'Riordan/Newstalk
Gardaí said they were aware that the incident has caused significant disruption in the city centre adding that they were "working to minimize this disruption as quickly as possible."
They noted that it was essential that a "full and thorough investigation into this fatal incident" was carried out.
They are continuing to appeal to anyone who was in the in the O’Connell Street, Cathal Brugha Street and Marlborough Street areas between 1am and 2am to contact them.
They are particularly interested in talking to anyone who may have taken any mobile phone or dashcam footage of the incident or in the area.
Local Councillor Anthony Flynn said a more visible Garda presence is needed in the city centre.
“These incidents can be avoided,” he said. “This is the result of a complete lack of resourcing in regard to community policing and a complete lack of a visible Garda presence on our city’s main thoroughfares at the moment.”
He said the northern city centre has “suffered dramatic cuts in regard to community policing over the last year.”