A victim of retired surgeon Michael Shine says it brings some comfort to know he has not got away with his crimes.
The 86-year-old of Ballsbridge in Dublin will be sentenced next week, after being convicted of indecently assaulting seven young boys over the course of 30 years.
During this trial seven men - who are mostly now aged in their 40s - gave evidence of their abuse at the hands of Michael Shine when they were young boys.
The abuse happened at Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital in Drogheda and two private clinics in the town between 1971 and 1992.
One man remembered how he wanted to scream as Shine groped him.
Another recalled being 14-years-old and asking Shine what he was doing. He replied 'You can tell a lot this way'.
In a victim impact statement, one of the men said he had waited 30 years for the conviction and said although it does not bring closure, it does bring comfort to know he has not gotten away with his crimes.
The court heard 86-year-old Michael Shine - who lives alone - was previously convicted of three counts of indecent assault which are being appealed.
His barrister asked the judge not to impose a custodial sentence, citing his deteriorating health.
He said his client has been criticised in the media and as he was arriving at court this morning, he was attacked and someone threw liquid on him.
He will be sentenced on Monday.
Reporting by Stephanie Rohan
Main image: Retired surgeon Michael Shine arriving at the Central Criminal Courts in Dublin in 2017 | Image: Sam Boal/Rollingnews.ie