A man has died following a fire at an apartment building in Cavan town.
The alarm was raised shortly before 8.00pm on Saturday when smoke was noticed coming from a building off Main Street.
Fire services attended the scene and two adults and a child were rescued.
They were taken to Cavan General Hospital where they were treated for smoke inhalation.
The fire was brought under control and the body of a man, understood to be 40-years-old, was discovered in one of the apartments.
Two firemen were also treated for minor injuries following the incident.
The body of the man has yet to be identified and Gardaí say this process may take some time.
The scene is currently preserved for forensic and technical examination and the local coroner has been notified.
Gardaí say the cause of the fire has still to be established, but foul play is not suspected.