Level three COVID-19 restrictions are now in place across the country for three weeks.
The new restrictions came into effect from midnight.
People are asked not to travel outside their county other than for essential reasons, while indoor dining in restaurants, pubs and cafés is banned.
Other restrictions in place for the next few weeks include:
- Household visits restricted to six people from no more than one other household
- Weddings limited to 25 guests, and funerals limited to 25 mourners
- All religious services are to move online
- Organised indoor gatherings cannot take place, and galleries, museums, theatres and cinemas are closed
- People are being asked to work from home unless absolutely necessary
- Only professional, elite, inter-county, and senior club sports matches should take place, and should only take place behind closed doors
'Wet pubs' in Dublin remain closed, even for outdoor dining.
However, schools and childcare facilities will remain open under the level three restrictions.
Gyms and swimming pools are also open, for individual training only.
The level three restrictions come into effect after the Government rejected a NPHET recommendation for a move to strict level five restrictions.
Most of the country is moving to level three from level two, although Dublin and Donegal have already been under the higher level restrictions in recent weeks.
A short and sharp lockdown is still a possibility in the coming weeks, with the Tánaiste Leo Varadkar last night telling the Fine Gael parliamentary party a so-called 'circuit breaker' is not being ruled out.
Meanwhile, gardaí are stepping up checkpoints to discourage people from making any unnecessary journeys.
Operation Fanacht came into force at midnight across the country.
There will be over 130 checkpoints a day on main roads, with thousands more in towns and villages.
Gardaí will not have enforcement powers, but they will be requested if compliance becomes a problem.
Garda Commissioner Drew Harris has said the powers will only be re-introduced if it becomes very clear that they are needed.