A 23-year-old Italian woman has been discharged from hospital after doctors gave her an entire vial of the Pfizer coronavirus vaccine by mistake.
The woman was kept under observation for 24 hours in the Tuscan town of Massa after receiving the overdose yesterday – the equivalent of around six doses.
She remains in good condition after being treated with fluids and paracetamol through her observation period.
The woman is a clinical psychology trainee and was prioritised for vaccination under the 'health personnel' category.
Italy's AGI news agency reports that the local health authority has launched an audit to investigate what happened.
The agency reports that previous studies on the effects of a Pfizer overdose were limited to four doses.
The incident has also been reported to the Italian Medicine’s Agency.