Iran's ballistic missile attacks on US targets in Iraq was the "first step" and Tehran will not spare American troops, an Iranian Revolutionary Guard commander has warned.
State TV quoted the official as saying: "The missile attacks today were just the first step. (US President Donald) should think about withdrawing its troops from the region and not to leave them within our reach."
Fifteen missiles were fired at two Iraq bases housing US and coalition troops following the killing of the country's top general.
Tehran said the attacks were revenge for the killing of General Qassem Soleimani, whose funeral in his hometown on Tuesday prompted angry calls to avenge his death.
The missiles are reported to have been fired by the Revolutionary Guard aerospace division and the operation was named "Marytr Soleimani".
Iran's Revolutionary Guard then warned the US and its regional allies against retaliating over the missile attack in Iraq.
VIDEO: Iran TV footage reportedly shows rockets launched at airbase housing US troops in Iraq pic.twitter.com/9TaN5zs0Tr
— AFP news agency (@AFP) January 8, 2020
It issued the warning via a statement carried by Iran's State-run IRNA news agency.
"We are warning all American allies, who gave their bases to its terrorist army, that any territory that is the starting point of aggressive acts against Iran will be targeted," it said. It also threatened Israel.
Reacting to the missile attack US President Trump tweeted: "All is well! Missiles launched from Iran at two military bases located in Iraq. Assessment of casualties & damages taking place now.
"So far, so good! We have the most powerful and well equipped military anywhere in the world, by far! I will be making a statement tomorrow morning."
All is well! Missiles launched from Iran at two military bases located in Iraq. Assessment of casualties & damages taking place now. So far, so good! We have the most powerful and well equipped military anywhere in the world, by far! I will be making a statement tomorrow morning.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 8, 2020
It is not clear yet what casualties, if any, the strikes caused.
Iran's Foreign Minister Javad Zarif said his country "took & concluded proportionate measures in self-defense under Article 51 of UN Charter"
He added: "We do not seek escalation or war, but will defend ourselves against any aggression."
Iran took & concluded proportionate measures in self-defense under Article 51 of UN Charter targeting base from which cowardly armed attack against our citizens & senior officials were launched.
We do not seek escalation or war, but will defend ourselves against any aggression.
— Javad Zarif (@JZarif) January 8, 2020
A US government statement said: "It is clear that these missiles were launched from Iran and targeted at least two Iraqi military bases hosting US military and coalition personnel at Al Assad and Erbil.
"We are working on initial battle damage assessments.
"These bases have been on high alert due to indications that the Iranian regime planned to attack our forces and interests in the region.
"As we evaluate the situation and our response, we will take all necessary measures to protect and defend US personnel, partners, and allies in the region."
Meanwhile, the US Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) says it will ban US carriers from operating in the airspace over Iraq, Iran, the Gulf of Oman and the waters between Iran and Saudi Arabia.
#FAA Statement: #NOTAMs issued outlining flight restrictions that prohibit U.S. civil aviation operators from operating in the airspace over Iraq, Iran, and the waters of the Persian Gulf and the Gulf of Oman. pic.twitter.com/kJEbpPddp3
— The FAA (@FAANews) January 8, 2020
Al Asad air base, in Iraq's western Anbar province, was first used by American forces after the 2003 US-led invasion that toppled dictator Saddam Hussein.
It later saw American troops stationed there amid the fight against the Islamic State group in Iraq and Syria.
The EU has called an extraordinary Foreign Affairs Council meeting scheduled for this Friday.
Speaking ahead of the strikes on Tuesday, the EU foreign affairs chief Josep Borrell said: "Worried as we are by the situation in Libya and in Iran, we have called for an extraordinary Foreign Affairs Council scheduled for this Friday."
"You also know about the Iran situation. It has not been the subject of this meeting, but it will be the subject of the extraordinary Foreign Affairs Council on next Friday."
Main image: This aerial photo taken from a helicopter shows Ain al-Asad air base in the western Anbar desert, Iraq on December 29th, 2019 | Image: Nasser Nasser/AP/Press Association Images