The Government is set to lose around 800 hotel rooms for refugees and asylum seekers.
Integration Minister Roderic O'Gorman has said it is something that has been "flagged for some period of time", as several hotel contacts with the Government expire this month.
It comes as figures released by the Irish Refugee Council on Monday showed 371 people seeking international protection in Ireland are currently homeless.
In its Impact Report for 2022, the council warned that the failure to provide shelter to asylum seekers highlights "a further deterioration in the rights of people seeking protection" in Ireland.
It described the situation as ‘grave and deteriorating’ and warned that it requires all-of-Government attention.
The report noted that the number of people supported by the council last year rose by 267%.
Minister O'Gorman admitted the Government is not meeting its obligations to people who arrive here seeking protection.
"We need to get ourselves in a position where we can continue to do that," he said.
"We've given clear indications, in all channels that we can, that the housing situation is difficult in Ireland right now for international protection applicants.
"We've advised international protection applicants, if they are in the position to stay where they are and stay safely, that they should do so".
He said his department will work hard to try and ensure families are accommodated.
“We expect to lose around 800 hotel rooms this week.”
The Government is “under real pressure” when it comes to finding asylum seeker accommodation – Integration Minister. pic.twitter.com/qDUIvo8rtG
— NewstalkFM (@NewstalkFM) March 28, 2023
Additional reporting: Aoife Kearns