The first case of the coronavirus COVID-19 has been confirmed in the Republic of Ireland.
The patient, a man in the eastern part of the country, is currently receiving appropriate medical care.
He was identified and tested in line with established protocols for the investigation of suspect cases of COVID-19, according to the National Public Health Emergency Team.
The case is associated with travel from an affected area in Northern Italy, rather than in contact with another confirmed case.
No details being given about the casualty except that they were a male in the eastern part of the country, and that they are being cared for in a healthcare setting.
— Stephen Bourke (@AnBurcach) February 29, 2020
The Minister for Health Simon Harris has been informed of the confirmed case.
Minister Harris has notified the Taoiseach Leo Varadkar.
Speaking today, Minister Harris said: "This is not unexpected. We have been preparing for this since January".
"I would strongly encourage people to follow the guidance and advice of the National Public Health Emergency Team, led by the Chief Medical Officer."
Any person concerned they may have symptoms of coronavirus should immediately isolate themselves from others and contact their GP by phone.
The first case confirmed on the island was a Belfast woman who travelled back from Northern Italy earlier this week.
Earlier today US officials confirmed the first death there from the coronavirus outbreak - with another 22 cases confirmed there.
President Donald Trump says the woman who died in the US was vulnerable to the virus.