US President Donald Trump announced on Saturday that he intends to allow the release of the last batch of classified files about the John F Kennedy assassination.
A majority of the documents, including CIA and FBI files, related to the 1963 assassination have been released by the US National Archives under legislation approved by Congress in 1992 - which also set a deadline of October 26th of this year to release all the documents.
However, US presidents can decide whether there are national security reasons to keep the remaining files blocked.
In a tweet today, President Trump indicated he will be allowing the files to be released - although noted the decision was 'subject to the receipt of further information'.
It remains unclear whether the documents would be released in full and unredacted form.
Subject to the receipt of further information, I will be allowing, as President, the long blocked and classified JFK FILES to be opened.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 21, 2017
The Washington Post reports that it is believed the remaining documents could shed light on what assassin Lee Harvey Oswald did during a visit in Mexico City in September 1963, although likely don't contain "any major bombshells".
The US newspaper also suggests that government agencies had encouraged Trump to keep the files classified.
Former Trump campaign adviser Roger Stone - who has promoted conspiracy theories about JFK's killing - earlier this week told InfoWars that he had spoken to President Trump and encouraged him to declassify the documents.
He said: "I implore the President to release these documents so the American people can finally know the truth."