Confirmation and First Communion services in Dublin - including those planned for tomorrow - won't go ahead for now due to the new coronavirus restrictions.
As part of level three restrictions, places of worship in the capital will once again largely be closed to the public.
While weddings and funerals can still take place - with a maximum of 50 attendees this weekend, and 25 from Monday - other services will have to be broadcast online.
In a notice to churches this evening, Archbishop Diarmuid Martin said: "Confirmation and First Communion services (including those planned for tomorrow, Saturday) will therefore not be possible during this period and will have to be postponed.
"Any celebration of these Sacraments - such as in schools or other places - constitutes public worship and is covered by this restriction and should not take place.
"I understand the concerns that this may bring to many families."
Archbishop Martin said he's aware the measures will be "painful for many", but that the decisions have been made to respond "in the best possible way to an unforeseen and complex situation".
Last week, the Acting Chief Medical Officer Dr Ronan Glynn warned that communion and christening parties in households 'need to be stopped' for the next few weeks wherever possible because of the surge in COVID-19 cases.
The Government announced new restrictions for the capital this evening, with the measures to be in place for three weeks from midnight.