London's Metropolitan Police is investigating an allegation of sexual assault understood to be against actor Kevin Spacey, Sky News reports.
Police say they are investigating an allegation that a man assaulted another man in the Lambeth area of London in 2008.
The incident was referred to Scotland Yard on Wednesday and is being looked into by officers from its Child Abuse and Sexual Offences Command.
At the time of the alleged assault Spacey was artistic director of the Old Vic Theatre in London, a role he held between 2003 and 2015.
The police investigation follows a story in The Sun newspaper earlier this week in which a man, now aged 32, alleged that Spacey had abused him when he was 23.
"This investigation may be as a result of a complaint made by the man who was talking to The Sun newspaper," said Sky News crime correspondent Martin Brunt.
"He claimed that he was with Kevin Spacey at his home in Lambeth, near the Old Vic theatre, he'd fallen asleep and he woke up to find that Kevin Spacey was abusing him."
"That is the allegation that has been made."
A general view of the Old Vic Theatre in London | Image: Daniel Leal-Olivas/PA Wire
Spacey has faced multiple accusations of sexual harassment or abuse over the last week, after 'Star Trek' actor Anthony Rapp said that Spacey had made a sexual advance toward him in 1985.
At the time Rapp was just 14-years-old and Spacey was 26.
In a statement the House of Cards actor said that he does "not remember the encounter", but said that he was "beyond horrified to hear his story".
"If I did behave then as he describes, I owe him the sincerest apology," he added.
On Thursday Spacey's publicist said the actor was seeking "evaluation and treatment" following the allegations about his behaviour.
The actor has faced a public backlash since the claims about his behaviour have emerged, in the wake of the Harvey Weinstein scandal.
On Friday a Dutch business forum cancelled a conference appearance by the actor in Rotterdam later this month.
BusinessBoostLive said "it is not desirable" for Spacey to speak at the event following the sexual assault allegations.
Netflix has also suspended the filming of the House of Cards series, and Spacey's 2017 Emmy Founders Award has been revoked following the allegations.