Christmas is just around the corner and naturally the last-minute festive shopping rush is underway in every city, town and village across the county. If you are still looking for a gift for the farmer in your life, male or female, then look no further. Mairead Lavery, editor of Irish Country Living, has your last-minute gift ideas sorted...
1. The Canycom jasper four-wheel electric Trolley -this is advertised for warehouse, garden centre, office and home use, but is also ideal on the farm for carrying small bales, buckets of meal or milk across the yard and just about anything else you can think of. Sold by Cashels in Aghamore, Ballyhaunis, Co Mayo- 094-9632250. Retailing at €1,575.
2. A drone - very useful on all farms, whether it be checking livestock or crops. Retailing at €1110.14.
3. Head torch- ideal for winter months and leaves both hands free. The best ones are sold in sports shops. Expect to pay €50 to €120. Latest versions are rechargeable with a standard phone charger.
4. Men’s fleece-lined trousers - retailing for €25.
5. Waterproof overpants - retailing at €89 from Kiwi Country Clothing.
6. Pretty Bird do a range of feminine farm ware and also a range of gifts.
7. For the lads: Carveon do personalised gifts, such as a lather notebook with your name on it starting from €83 or a small wallet staring at €33.
8. For the ladies: A Voya seaweed bath set for €20 or a Pestle and Mortar hydrating giftset for €86.
9. Tickets to the inaugural Dublin Racing Festival 2018 - taking place 3-4 February. Tickets cost €30 for a single day pass or €50 for the weekend.
These are available in all good bookstores:
- Queen of the Ploughing by Anna May McHugh.
- A Ploughing People by Valerie Cox.
- Mythical Ireland: New Light on the Ancient Past by Anthony Murphy.
- Antiquities of Rural Ireland by Muiris Ó Súilleabháin, Liam Downey and Dara Downey.